One vehicle was also said to have been vandalized in the process.
The incident happened Saturday morning.
Metropolitan Chief Executive Edward Ayagle confirmed the incident to Joy News.
"Earlier on in the day a sub-chief and his elders were coming to the Bolga-Naba's palace. They passed through the opposing factions area. The people stopped them there and vandalised the car and inflicted cutlass wounds on two of them, one very serious," he stated.
Others were also injured in the attack, he added.
Mr. Ayagle indicated that police officers have been deployed to the area to ensure calm.
He said the assistant police commander has led personnel to the place to appeal to the residents of the two factions to remain calm.
"Both factions have retreated," he indicated, adding police have mounted surveillance in the area.
Joy News' Upper East correspondent Albert Sore reported calm has returned to the area.
He is yet to confirm if any arrests have been made.