“Our current priority now is to save lives and prevent any further suffering of our people. Beyond that, we will take the tough measures that are necessary to prevent such disasters in future,” The President said last Thursday.
And according to Finance Minister, Seth Terkper, some of the money had already been released, including the allocation to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).
“The part that goes to NADMO, that was released on Friday. Some amount of money was advanced for that pending the release. The part that concerns the resurfacing and others that Minister for Roads and Highways working with Works and Housing, the releases will be made, Seth Terkper said on The Big Issue on Saturday.
“What we have done is to consult with the Governor to put the money aside in order that as and when the work is done, the releases will be discharged,” he added.
President Mahama also announced that the death toll from the disaster had reached 150 and added that rescue workers were still searching for survivors and other bodies.
According to the President, “the official toll will be known after the search and rescue exercise is over.”
A 3-day mourning period which begins today [Monday] and ends on Wednesday with a National memorial service was announced by the President.
All flags will fly at half-mast as families and friends attempt to recover from the loss they have suffered.
A statement issued on Sunday by the Minister for Communications, Dr. Edward Omane Boamah, encouraged all Ghanaians and the general public to wear black or red armbands and clothing to mourn with the families of the victims of the disaster.