South Africa's High Commissioner to Ghana, Ms. Lulama Xingwana, who disclosed this to the media in Accra on Monday, said the Commission has been receiving threats from persons she did not name.
“After that, they threatened that they will be coming back to burn the High Commission’s offices,” Ms. Xingwana revealed.
She said the threats have been reported to the police, “and we have received the support from the police to make sure that the premises are safe”.
The Commission has staff who are both Ghanaians and South Africans and must all be protected, Ms Xingwana said.
The xenophobic attacks are being fuelled by South African nationals who feel foreigners have taken over their jobs leaving them unemployed.
But Ms. Xingwana unequivocally condemned the xenophobic attacks, stressing that South Africans who want jobs must go through the proper channels to secure one.
Meanwhile, 10 people have so far been confirmed dead in xenophobic attacks and several others maimed.
Although Ghana’s High Commission there has confirmed that five Ghanaians have died, spokesperson for the South African police, Solomon Makgale, in an interview on Adom FM’s morning show ‘Dwaso Nsem’ could not confirm the causes of their deaths.
He also indicated that about a 100 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks and will be put before court later today.
In related developments, pressure group, Alliance for Accountable Governance (AFAG) is demanding the expulsion of the South African High Commissioner to Ghana and other key staff.
The group is also putting pressure on Ghana’s President, John Mahama, to use his office as the Chairman of ECOWAS to push for travel bans on the Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini, South African President, Jacob Zuma, his Cabinet ministers, the head of the South African police and other top government officials.